National Youth Day (Yuva Diwas or Swami Vivekananda Birthday) is celebrated with the great joy and enthusiasm in India every year on 12th of January. It is celebrated to commemorate the birthday of Swami Vivekananda, maker of the modern India. It was first declared by the Government of India in the year 1984 to celebrate the birthday of Swami Vivekananda as the National Youth Day. Since then (1985), it is started celebrating as the National Youth Day all over the country.
HISTORY OF NATIONAL YOUTH DAY
It is well known that the Government of India had declared to observe the National Youth Day every year on the birthday of Swami Vivekananda on 12th of January. It was decided by the Government of India in order to inspire all the youths of country towards the philosophy of Swami Vivekananda and his ideals. The birthday of the Swami Vivekananda was decided to be celebrated as the National Youth Day to complete the aim of making better future of the country by motivating the youths through the way of life and ideas of the Swami Vivekananda.
It is the aim of great importance of distributing the ideas and ideals of the Swami Vivekananda among the youths of India. It is the great way to wake up the eternal energy of the youths as well as their big efforts to make the country developed.
Swami Vivekananda was born on 12th of January in the year 1863 in the Pausha Krishna Saptami tithi. The birthday of the Swami Vivekananda is celebrated every year at many centres of the Ramakrishna Math, Ramakrishna Mission and their branch centres according to the Indian culture and tradition. A great mangal aarti, hoom, devotional songs, meditation, religious speech as well as the sandhya aarti is performed while celebrating the birthday of the Swami Vivekananda.
NATIONAL YOUTH DAY THEME
Following are the year wise theme of national youth day celebration in India:
- The theme of 2011 was “Sabse Pehle Bharat”.
- The theme of 2012 was “Celebrating Diversity In Unity”.
- The theme of 2013 was “Awakening The Youth Power”.
- The theme of 2014 was “Youth For Drugs Free World”.
The theme of 2015 was “Youngmanch” and “Youth for Clean, Green and Progressive India” (and slogan was “hum se hai nayi shuruaat”).
The theme of 2016 was “Indian Youth for Development, Skill and Harmony”.
The theme of 2017 was “Youth for Digital India”.
NATIONAL YOUTH DAY QUOTES
Following are some famous quotes on national youth day said by the Swami Vivekananda:
- “Choose the highest ideal and live your life upto that. Look at the “ocean” and not at the wave”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “A few heart-whole, sincere, and energetic men and women can do more in a year than a mob in a century”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Religion is the manifestation of the Divinity already in man”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Struggle hard to get money, but don’t get attached to it”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “He who sees Shiva in the poor, in the weak, and in the diseased, really worships Shiva”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Each soul is potentially divine”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Talk to yourself once in a day…Otherwise you may miss meeting an EXCELLENT person in this World”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “My faith is in the younger generation, the modern generation, out of them will come my workers!”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Work, work, work – let this be your motto”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “The earth is enjoyed by heroes—this is the unfailing truth. Be a hero. Always say, “I have no fear””. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Feel that you are great and you become great”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “My hope of the future lies in the youths of character, intelligent, renouncing all for the service of others, and obedient – good to themselves and the country at large”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Death being so certain, it is better to die for a good cause”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Your country requires heroes; be heroes; your duty is to go on working, and then everything will follow of itself”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “Arise! Awake! and stop not until the goal is reached”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “When an idea exclusively occupies the mind, it is transformed into an actual physical or mental state”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “It is best to work among the youth in whom lies our hope — patiently, steadily, and without noise”. – Swami Vivekananda
- “The child is father of the man.” Would it be right for an old man to say that childhood is a sin or youth a sin?” – Swami Vivekananda