UPSC NDA Exam 2018 Solved Paper in English
UPSC NDA Exam 2018 Solved Paper in English:Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) NDA/NA Exam 2018 (II) of the year 2018 held on dated 9 August, 2018. We are giving 56 questions of General Knowledge of this exam with answers. These questions not only develop of your I.Q. but will useful for upcoming government exams also.
1. Which one of the following groups of cellular organelles contain DNA?
(a) Mitochondria, nucleus, chloroplast✔
(b) Mitochondria, Golgi bodies, nucleus
(c) Mitochondria, plasma membrane, nucleus
(d) Chloroplast, nucleus, ribosomes
2. One of the additional functions of Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum (SER) is
(a) protein synthesis (b) lipid synthesis
(c) storage of biomolecules (d) detoxification of toxic substances ✔
3. Damage to the apical meristem of a growing young plant will affect the
(a) length of the plant ✔(b) colour of the flower
(c) colour of the leaves (d) taste of the fruits
4. Which of the following kingdoms has/have only unicellular organisms?
(a) Monera (b) Protista
(c) Monera and Protista ✔(d) Protista and Fungi
5. Which one of the following is a waterborne disease?
(a) Jaundice ✔ (b) Tuberculosis
(c) Rabies (d) Arthritis
5. Which one of the following is a heterogeneous mixture?
(a) Hydrochloric acid (b) Vinegar
(c) Milk ✔(d) Soda water
6. The frequency of ultrasound waves is
(a) less than 20 Hz
(b) between 20 Hz and 2 kHz
(c) between 2 kHz and 20 kHz
(d) greater than 20 kHz✔
7. Which one of the following is known as uplands of delta region?
(a) Bcf (b) Bils
(c) Pch (d) Chars ✔
8. Which one of the following statements about temperature is correct?
(a) Temperature decreases with height in the stratosphere.
(b) Temperature is constant at different heights in the stratosphere.
(c) Temperature increases with height in the troposphere at an average rate of 6.5°e per km.
(d) Temperature decreases with height in the troposphere at an average rate of 6.4°C per km ✔
9. Which one of the following is known as a zone of sharp salinity change in the vertical section of ocean?
(a) Thermocline (b) Halocline ✔
(c) Photic kone (d) Pycnocline
10. Permanent hardness of water cannot be removed by which one of the following methods?
(a) Treatment with washing soda (b) Calgon’s method
(c) Boiling✔ (d) Ion exchange method
11. Which of the following statements is not correct?
(a) All carbons in diamond are linked by carbon-carbon single bond
(b) Graphite is layered structure in which layers are held together by weak vander Walls forces.
(c) Graphite layers are formed by hexagonal rings of carbon atoms.
(d) Graphite layers are held together by carbon-carbon single bond✔
(d) Graphite layers are held together by Vander Walls forces and not by carbon-carbon single bond Thus. Option (D) is incorrect.
12. Which one of the following is called Dry Ice?
(a) Solid carbon dioxide ✔(b) Liquid carbon dioxide
(c) Liquid nitrogen (d) Liquid ammonia
13. The acidic semi digested food coming out of the stomach is neutralised by
(a) pancreatic juice (b) duodenal secretion
(c) large intestine secretion (d) bile juice ✔
14. The oxygenated blood from the lungs is received by the
(a) left auricle✔(b) left ventricle
(c) right auricle (d) right ventricle
15. Which one of the following depicts the correct circuit of a reflex arc?
(a) Effector-sensory neuron-spinal cord-motor neuron-receptor Receptor-sensory neuron-spinal cord-neuron-effector
(b) Receptor-sensory neuron-brain-motor neuron-effector ✔
(c) Receptor-Sensory neuron-brain-motor
(d) Sensory neuron-receptor-brian effector-motor neuron
(b) The correct reflex arch is depicted by option (b). It is receptor-sensory neuron-spinel cord-neuron-effector.
16. If one set of chromosomes for a given plant is represented as N; in case of double fertilisation the zygote and the endosperm nucleus of a diploid plant would have how many sets of chromosomes respectively?
(a) N and 2N (b) 2N and 2N
(c) N and 3N (d) 2N and 3N✔
17. The connecting cable of electrical appliances like electric iron, water heater or room heater contains three insulated copper wires of three different colours-red, green and black. Which one of the following is the correct colour code?
(a) Red-live wire, Green-neutral wire, Black-ground wire
(b) Red-neutral wire, Green-ground wire, Black-live wire
(c) Red-live wire, Green-ground wire, Black-neutral wire ✔
(d) Red-ground wire, Green-live wire, Black-neutral wire
18. ‘Majuli’, the river island, is located in which one of the following rivers?
(a) Jamuna (b) Padma
(c) Ganga (d) Brahmaputra ✔
19. Which one of the following Indian States has recorded negative growth of population as per Census 2011?
(a) Manipur (b) Mizoram
(c) Tripura (d) Nagaland ✔
20. Which one of the following types of cloud is characterised by continuous precipitation?
(a) Cirrocumulus (b) Cumulus
(c) Nimbostratus✔ (d) Cumulonimbus
21. Which one of the following is not an agent of metanorphism?
(a) Heat (b) Compression
(c) Decomposition ✔(d) Solution
22. Which one of the following is not used as fertilizer? ‘
(a) Ammonium nitrate
(b) Ammonium sulphide ✔
(c) Ammonium phosphate
(d) Ammonium sulphate
23. Which one of the following statements about the law of conservation of mass is correct?
(A) A given compound always contains exactly same proportion of elements.
(b) When gases combine in a reaction, they do so in a simple ratio by volume, provided all gases are at room temperature.
(c) Matter can neither be created nor destroyed✔
(d) Equal volumes of all gases at same temperature and pressure contain equal number of molecules.
(c) Law of conservation of mass states that matter can neither be created nor be destroyed
24. Which one of the following greenhouse gases is in largest concentration in the atmosphere?
(A) Chlorofluorocarbon (b) Nitrous oxide
(c) Carbon dioxide✔ (d) Methane
25. Which one of the following is the correct descending order of Indian States in terms of sex ratio as per Census 2011?
(a) Mizoram – Manipur – Tripura – Meghalaya
(b) Tripura – Manipur – Meghalaya -Mizoram
(c) Meghalaya – Manipur – Mizoram -Tripura ✔
(d) Manipur – Meghalaya – Tripura -Mizoram
26. Steppe (temperate continental) climate is not experienced in which one of the following places?
(a) Pretoria ✔ (b) Saskatchewan
(c) Perth (d) Buenos Aires
27. Which one of the following is not a process of chemical weathering?
(a) Solution (b) Carbonation
(c) Oxidation (d) Exfoliation ✔
28. Which one of the following statements is correct for a plane mirror?
(a) Its focal length is zero.
(b) The size of the image of an object placed infront of the mirror is slightly less than that of the object.
(c) The image is virtual, erect and laterally inverted ✔
(d) lts focal length is 200 cm.
29. An object is placed in front or” a convex mirror. Which one of the following statements is correct?
(A) It will never form an inverted image ✔
(B) The image moves towards the focus when the object moves towards the mirror.
(C) Depending on the position of the object with respect to the mirror, the image can be inverted and real.
(D) The size of the image becomes larger than that of the object when the object is placed at a distance equal to half the focal length.
30. Which one among the following is not a Fundamental Right under the Constitution of India?
(a) Right to equality (b) Right to freedom
(c) Right to citizenship ✔ (d) Right against exploitation
31. Which one of the following crops was introduced by the Portuguese in India?
(a) Opium (b) Coffee
(c) Betal leaf (d) Chili ✔
32. Consider the following statements about merchant guilds of South India:
1. Ayyavole merchant guild was originally established in Aihole.
2. Manigraman merchant guild was subordinated to the Anjuvannam merchant guild in the 13th century.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) Only 1 ✔ (b) Only 2
(c) Both I and 2 (d) Neither I nor 2
33. Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched?
Bhakti Saint Philosophy
(a) Shankara Avadhuta
(b) Ramananda Kevaladvaita
(c) Ramanuja Vishishtadvaita ✔
(d) Chaintanya Advaita
34. When did the Stamp Act Congress consisting of delegates from 9 of the 13 colonies of America meet in New York City?
(a) 1763 (b) 1764
(c) 1765 ✔ (d) 1766
35. Who among the following travellers was from Italy and visited Vijayanagar Kingdom in the fifteenth century?
(a) Nikitin (b) Fa-Hien
(c) Bernier (d) Nicolo Conti ✔
36. Where did the French East India Company first establish its factory in India?
(a) Calicut (b) Surat ✔
(c) Pondieherry (d) Masulipatnam
37. The Central Vigilance Commission was established on the recommendation of which one of the following Committees?
(a) Santhanam Committee ✔ (b) Dinesh Goswami Committee
(c) Tarkunde Committee (d) Narasimham Committee
38. Which one of the following is the Official Mascot of the FIFA World Cup 20I8?
(a) Fuleco (b) Zakumi
(c) Pille (d) Zabivaka ✔
39. The Headquarters of the proposed National Sports University (as per t>he National Sports University Ordinance. 2018) will be set-up in
(a) Chattisgarh (b) Manipur ✔
(c) Kerala (d) West Bengal
40. Sentosa island, which was in news recently, is located in
(a) Singapore ✔ (b) China
(c) Australia (d) Sri Lanka
41. India in June. 2018. asserted that any mega connectivity project must respect sovereignty and territorial integrity of the countries. The project referred to above is
(a) North-South Corridor Project (b) Belt and Road Initiative ✔
(c) Chabahar Port (d) Panama Canal Expansion
42. Who among the following is not a member of G7?
(a) France (b) Germany
(c) Russia ✔ (d) Japan
43. Who among the following leaders started the Indian Home Rule League?
(a) Gopal Krishna Gokhale (b) Mahatma Gandhi
(c) Bal Gangadhar Tilak ✔ (d) JB Kripalani
44. Every Judge of the Supreme Court of India is appointed by
(a) the Supreme Court Collegium (b) the Cabinet
(c) the President of India ✔ (d) the Lok Sabha
45. The Nehru-Mahalanobis Strategy of Development was implemented for the first time by which one of the following Five- Year Plans?
(a) First Five-Year Plan (b) Second Five-Year Plan ✔
(c) Third Five-Year Plan (d) Seventh Five-Year Plan
46. Which one of the following is not a part of the Directive Principles of State Policy as enshrined in the Constitution of India?
(a) Equal justice and free legal aid
(b) Protection of monuments and places and objects of national importance
(c) Protection of personal law ✔
(d) Separation of Judiciary from Executive’
47. The word ‘socialist’ was inserted into the Preamble to the Constitution of India through which one of the following Amendment Acts?
(a) 41st Amendment Act (b) 42nd Amendment Act ✔
(c) 43rd Amendment Act (d) 44th Amendment Act
48. The place of English East India Company settlement in Madras was known as
(a) Fort William (b) Fort SI. George ✔
(c) Elphinstonc Circle (d) Marble Palace
49. Which one of the following Indian States (other than Himalayan or North Eastern States) ranked first in the Composite Water Management Index as per the report issued by the NITI Aayog in June, 2018?
(a) Madhya Pradesh (b) Karnataka
(c) Gujarat ✔ (d) Maharashtra
50. Who among the following is the ex officio Chairman of the North Eastern Council?
(a) The President of India
(b) The Prime Minister of India
(c) The Union Home Minister ✔
(d) The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge), Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region
51. Which one of the following is the theme of the World Blood Donor Day 2018?
(a) Blood connects us all ✔
(b) Be there for someone else. Give blood Share life
(c) Give blood Give now. Give often
(d) Thank you for saving my life
52. ‘Seva Bhoj Yojana’, a scheme of the government of India that seeks to reimburse Central share of CGST and IGSTon Food/Prasad/Langar/Bhandara offered by religious institutions, is introduced recently by which one of the following Ministries?
(a) The Ministry of Culture ✔
(b) The Ministry of Home Affairs
(c) The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
(d) The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
53. Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak, who was awarded Nikkei Asia Prize 2018 for Culture and Community, is the founder of
(a) Bachpan Bachao Andolan
(b) PRS Legislative Research
(c) Sulabh Sanitation and Social Reform Movement ✔
(d) Smile Foundation
54. Article-352 of the Constitution of India contains provisions related to
(a) financial emergency
(b) failure of constitutional machinery in States
(c) suspension of the enforcement of rights conferred in Part III of the Cons ti tution
(d) general emergency ✔
55. The Theosophical Society was led by
(A) A.O. Hume (B) Arthur Griffith
(C) Annie Besant ✔(D) Lord Dufferin
56. Which one of the following statements about Bipin Chandra Pal is correct?
(a) He was a member of the moderate group of Congress.
(b) He was a member of the extremist group of Congress ✔
(c) He was the Minister of Defence in the first government of independent India
(d) He was the Chief Minister of West Bengal