Updated Current Affairs 06 February 2018 for SSC CHSL-2017 in English
1. EAM Sushma Swaraj Embarked on 3-day Visit to Saudi Arabia
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swarajhas left for her first official visit to Saudi Arabia.During the three-day visit, Mrs Swaraj will meet with the Saudi leadership to discuss bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest.
- She will also participate in the inauguration of the prestigious National Heritage and Culture Festival ‘Janadriyah’.India is the guest of honour country at the fest.
**Saudi Arabia Capital- Riyadh, Currency- Saudi Riyal.
2. India Successfully Test-Fires Nuclear-Capable Agni-I Missile
- India successfully test-firedthe indigenously developed short-range nuclear capable Agni-I ballistic missile.The missile was fired from the Abdul Kalam Island off Odisha coast.
- The test was conducted by the Strategic Force Command of the Indian Army. The range of Missile is 700 km. It was18th version of Agni-I.
**The missile was inducted into service in 2004.
**It is the surface-to-surface single-stage missile.
**The 15-metre-long Agni-I weighing 12 tonnes can carry payloads up to 1,000 kg.
3. Assam Government, Ola Sign MoU for River Taxi Service
- Cab-hailing startup Olaand the Government of Assam have signed an MoU to pilot an app-based river taxi service in Guwahati. The river taxis will be machine-operated boats and users will be able to book the rides through Ola’s app.
- It’ll bring commute time down to 2-5 minutes from 45 minutes by road. This MoU was signed during the Global Investors Summit: Advantage Assam.
**Assam CM- Sarbanand Sonowal, Governor- Jagdish Mukhi.
4. Mumbai Airport Becomes World’s Busiest Single-Runway Airport
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International airportof Mumbai sets record with 980 flights in 24 hours or almost one flight every minute.
- With this, the Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International airport bettered its own feat of 974 flights in 24 hours, recorded in December 2017. While Gatwick, the U.K.’s second-largest airport,remains the most efficient single-runway airport in the world.
5. UP Government in Association with UNICEF Launches DASTAK Campaign
- Uttar Pradesh State government in association with UNICEF has launched massive door to door campaign DASTAKto eradicate deadly Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Japanise Encephalitis (JE) disease in the state.
- The war cry of DASTAK is ‘Darwaja Khatkhatao, AES aur JE ko bhagao’. In DASTAK campaign, whole state machinery with the help of UNICEF will now literally go door to door in 38 JES and AE affected districts which mostly fall in the Tarai region.
**The United Nations International Children’s Education Fund (UNICEF) is a UN program headquartered in New York City, the USA.
**Henrietta H. Fore is the Executive Director of UNICEF.
6. Commerce Minister Kicks off Consultations on the New Industrial Policy
- Commerce and Industries Minister Mr Suresh Prabhuset off a series of nation-wide consultations with the industry on the proposed new Industrial Policy. The first consultation was held at Guwahati in February 2018.
- The event, organized by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP)in partnership with Federation of Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), was attended by more than 120 industrialists from the North East in addition to government officials from the North Eastern States.
7. Sweden Commits Record $370m of Aid to UN World Food Programme
- Sweden and the United Nations World Food Programmesigned a Strategic Partnership Agreementcommitting an unprecedented $370 million dollars to WFP over the next four years.
- The contribution for the period 2018-2021 is thebiggest ever made by a donor within a WFP Strategic Partnership Agreement.
**Sweden Capital- Stockholm, Currency- Swedish krona.
8. Maldives Crisis- Government Declares State of Emergency
- The Maldives president, Abdulla Yameen,has declared a state of emergency in the countryas heavily armed troops stormed the country’s top court and a former president Chief Justice Abdulla Saeed was arrested in a deepening political crisis.
- The former Maldivian president Mohamed Nasheedurged India to “act swiftly” to help in resolving the ongoing political crisis in the island nation.
**Maldives Capital- Male, Currency- Maldivian rufiyaa.
9. Jerome H Powell Sworn in as 16th Chairman of Federal Reserve
- Jerome H Powell was sworn in as the 16th Chairmanof the Federal Reserve for a four-year term. Mr Powell has succeeded Janet Yellen, the first woman to lead the US central bank in its 100-year history.
- Powell was nominated for the post in November 2017 by President Donald Trump.The oath was administered by Vice Chairman Randal K. Quarles in the Board Room.
**The Federal Reserve System is the central banking system of the United States.
**It was created on December 23, 1913.
10. Shubhankar Sharma Becomes Best Indian Golfer in the World
- Shubhankar Sharmahas emerged as the best Indian golfer in the world, grabbing the 72nd positionin the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR). He has won the Maybank Championship in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Sharma has enjoyed a golden run over the past few months on the international stage, clinching his first European Tour win at the Joburg Open.
**Dustin Johnson from the USA is currently the World Number 1 in Official World Golf Ranking.